Re: Outsourcing of Technical Writers Employment

Subject: Re: Outsourcing of Technical Writers Employment
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 08:16:28 -0700

I think what is more common is for companies to shift much
of their growth overseas, with technical writing growing in
foreign locations along with the developers they work with
and the US publications staff spending a lot of time editing.
My previous company and my current company both did/do
this. I also know a number of companies that outsource their
writing by bringing in contractors instead of having or growing
internal writing staffs. A lot of people on this list are doing
contracts for such companies. But I'd say it's still not very common to see a US company hire an outside service from overseas to document products they're developing in the US.
Most of the time, when you see US writers being laid off and
overseas writers being hired, it's because the entire development team was moved offshore.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>

Is there evidence of companies laying off all their writing staff and
outsourcing the tech writing? I haven't seen it.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com