Re: technical interview of tech writers

Subject: Re: technical interview of tech writers
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 13:30:22 -0700 (PDT)

> Personally, I've done at least a dozen phone interviews while
> wearing shorts and a T-shirt and no socks. I can't remember any
> in which I didn't get at least a followup in-person interview.
> In about half, I got the job -- one of which was the best job
> I've ever had.

I had a phone interview scheduled at 10am. So, about 9:30, I jumped
in the shower...he's early, the phone rings while I'm still in it.

Long story short, I did the entire interview while dripping wet
wearing....well, the water that was dripping off.
...and got the job.

OTOH, I know someone who just to work at home, he had to feel like he
was dressed business-like. Even if he was wearing jeans, he wore a
dress shirt and a tie...this was before business casual.

The point is, how you interview on the phone is specific to each
person. If you aren't used to working at home and are nervous, it's
better safe than sorry and to dress like you would at any interview.

And yes, smile as you speak...it does come through.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

?Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone
amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built
the Titanic.? - Dave Barry

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com