RE: Transitioning Text Across Platforms

Subject: RE: Transitioning Text Across Platforms
From: "Susan Guttman" <Susan -dot- Guttman -at- contactft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 16:49:01 -0400

The good news is, .txt works! :D

I worked as a digital typesetter for a while, and that's one of the biggest
trick in the typesetting bag - throw the Word text from the translators into
Notepad to strip out all the text-editor code-fluff before putting it into a
formatted document to prevent code-clash. Basically, Notepad only knows
ASCII, so that's all it can save - no formatting nonsense.

There are a couple of things to look for when working out of notepad,
however:

1. Bullets and other embedded graphics. A bullet is essentially a picture of
a dot with a tab to either side, and in Notepad, that's exactly what is
becomes. It no longer has the "I am a bullet" code attached to it that can be
turned on and off. You'll have to strip out the dot and spaces and re-apply
bullet formatting in the new doc.

2. Same for tabs in general. They become spaces that have to get manually
cleaned up.

3. Line breaks. Notepad is very literal about linebreaks when saving the
file. If you're just renaming or Saving As from Word to .txt, this isn't so
much of a problem, but if you are working in your notepad document, have
WordWrap enabled and then save from within Notepad, it will create line
breaks at the end of every line, wherever they happen to be according to the
size of the window. But as long as you remember to turn WordWrap off before
saving the file you should be fine.

Good luck!

Bill S. Guttman
TW Monkey