Re: Looking for to export a PageMaker 7 file to an AI file

Subject: Re: Looking for to export a PageMaker 7 file to an AI file
From: foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 16:50:13 -0700

Sharon -

First you must know that I work on a PC.

I just did a trial run using PageMaker 6.5 and Illustrator 8. With 6.5, I
can make a .ps file that can not be parsed by Illustrator 8. However,
Illustrator 8 does open the PDF that I made with PM6.5. While the type is
broken up into pieces, it is still a font. It breaks into sections of
type that seem random.

I have worked with this before, and with care, changes can be made and
saved as either an AI file or an Illustrator PDF or Illustrator EPS.

I think you will be able to use this system as long as your client
understands that they will have to take some care.

I would suggest you do this first with a short document to see if it will
work.

Another caution - On the page that I tried, there was a tif graphic that
for some reason did not come through to the AI file. You will need to see
if it is the same with your PageMaker and whatever illustrator they have.

In addition there is one more caution. I have received PDFs made in
unknown ways that Illustrator was able to read. But the parts were placed
in random position. Your client will have to be careful to make sure that
your PDFs come through correctly or that they put the parts back into
position..

Good Luck.

Happiness, joy & laughter

Jacque - Graphic Designer / Typesetter - Excellence by Design
since 1972 - Pen & Ink Renderings of homes & Bldgs. & portraits from
photos, Brochures, Ads, Flyers, Packaging, Business Forms, Manuscripts,
etc. - email: foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com & @earthlink.net - 626-794-9620
Rendering Samples: http://www.abacus-es.com/foreman

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com