Re: Increasing your corporate value

Subject: Re: Increasing your corporate value
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 09:41:54 -0400

I whole-heartedly agree. However... what (in part) contributes to
needing short-term gain/meeting numbers? Lack of defined, repeatable,
efficient process? Lack of skilled talent to do the former?
Ill-defined projects? No project planning or attention to project
status? Other?

I vote all the above.

Tech writers have skills that offer so much more than just good
(adequate?) documentation. What do we do? We define, research,
analyze, improve (either via docs or feedback into dev/engineering),
and maintain. If you step back and squint, this looks remarkably like
DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control... a la Six Sigma).

Our skills can be leveraged to improve corporate process. You just
need to do the work to become visible in this regard.

When your company is running tight, lean, and efficient, you have no
need to outsource, and will be agile enough to switch gears if ever
needed. Outsourcing is usually indicative of corporate bloat, poor
process and control, and resistance to change.

My $0.02. Don't spend it all in one place. ;-)

Bill

On 6/6/05, Renee Moore <rkmoore1 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> Outsourcing is only inevitable when it's advantageous
> to a corporation--which usually means it helps someone
> meet their numbers. Now, that advantage may be a
> matter of perception and misunderstanding of long term
> costs.

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com