Re: Frame maker importing documents from Publisher, Word or Quark

Subject: Re: Frame maker importing documents from Publisher, Word or Quark
From: "Janet M. Swisher" <swisher -at- enthought -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:25:50 -0500

isabel -dot- soria -at- suinsa -dot- com wrote:

> First of all, hellow and I've been reading information and comparatives
> about publishing programs and consider this page so much interesting and
> practical.

Hello Isabel, and welcome. I was hoping that someone more knowledgeable than me would answer your question. I don't use FrameMaker currently, but I have in the past. Because no one else has responded, I will try to help. Perhaps that will result in other responses that will be more helpful.

> I'm a worker at an engineering company. My job consists of making all
> documentation for all the Xray machines tath company manufactures. User
> Manuals, Service manuals, Pre-instalation manuals and Specifications
> brochures.
>
> The fact is i'm only 15 days working here, and all the manuals are made in
> Publisher, a big landmine. I'm getting crazy because everytime i made a
> change, i have to reorganize manually index, images numbers and it's
> references.. such a weary job and so much lost time.
>
> Reading documents, i'm sure than Frame maker is perfect for this job, but
> i have to convince my boss that it's the best tool. Here, i have no
> problem.
> The thing is that i can't assure all previos documents in publisher can be
> actualized to Framemaker.
>
> Does anybody knows if frame can import from publisher or pagemaker?.

I don't know whether FrameMaker can import from Microsoft Publisher. My guess is that it cannot. FrameMaker definitely *can* import from PageMaker, so if you have your files available in PageMaker format, that would probably be the best way to do it. You might check about what other formats Publisher can export to. For example, if it can export RTF (Rich Text Format), FrameMaker can import that.

> I'm not so familiarized with frame. i do know i can import pdf, but page
> by page.

PDF is designed as an "output only" format. It is usually difficult to go from PDF to any other format. I believe that when you import a page of a PDF into FrameMaker, you're really importing it as an image -- you can't edit it like you would edit normal text.

If you have the full version of Adobe Acrobat (not Reader), you can export a PDF document as a Microsoft Word (.doc) file. You could then import that into FrameMaker, either directly, or by first saving it as RTF from Word. However, you would probably have to clean up a lot of the formatting, so it would still be a lot of work.

Good luck!

--
Janet Swisher --- Senior Technical Writer
Enthought, Inc. http://www.enthought.com

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create 14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com