Re: Spinoff of: Where did you get your feet wet

Subject: Re: Spinoff of: Where did you get your feet wet
From: "Chris Christner" <cchris -at- toptechwriter -dot- us>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 11:35:54 -0600

Hi Anthony,

First of all, do you have a preference for writing about hardware or
software?

If you're planning to write about software, mechanical aptitude isn't so
important and you can get a decent start with just a liberal arts degree
(although you'd be well advised to take, as a minimum, classes that teach
programming, logic, and critical thinking).

Documenting hardware requires the same writing skills as software, but
you'll also need mechanical skills and some knowledge of electronic theory
(the amount of knowledge depending, of course, on the industry you choose
to work in). Which is why so many hardware writers started out as
technicians or engineers before achieving nirvana as tech writers.

--Chris

Anthony wrote:

> I am a senior studying tech writing in New York, and
> my program is a spinoff of the liberal arts program at
> the school. The only scientific course I really have
> to take is chemistry. I've avoided the required C++
> course.
>
> I've taken mostly writng courses, and a few graphic
> design courses, a usability course and others from the
> required courses list. If I'm looking for a career in
> TWing, am I at a disadvantage if I don't have a
> footing in science/engineering/technology?

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com