RE: Another spin-off: where to find writing jobs that are NOT IT related

Subject: RE: Another spin-off: where to find writing jobs that are NOT IT related
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:30:38 -0400

Mitchell,

At our local STC Chapter meeting last month we had a speaker who has
done a lot of writing for AMWA (American Medical Writers Association -
www.amwa.org). She got into medical writing through the "back door" and
has had the opportunity to write journal articles and medical pamphlets
that are distributed both to the laity and medical professionals.

Given your background and interests, AMWA may be able to offer you some
more specific resources to do more of the writing you're interested in
pursuing.

Ken

[clipped]

> * Research Administration / Proposal Writing? I've done some homework
> on this, including attending a recent conference of Research
> Administrators (www.ncura.edu), and it seems a natural -- even if it
> feels a bit like moving up to herding cats from having been one of the
> herd. I'm alreading doing the search for Research Administrators,
> Grants Administrators, and like positions on the Chronicle of Higher
> Education website and others, but coming out of an academic
> environment, I'm wondering if comparable positions are available in
> other arenas. How could I move from being someone who has written
> academic grants and journal articles to someone who writes technical
> proposals and white papers?
>
> * Technical Writing for Medical Hardware? I'd expect instrumentation,
> implants and the like need technical documentation and someone who can
> bridge the gap from the engineer who built it to the physician or
> physiologist who'll be using it. Do companies like Siemens Medical
> hire tech writers, as FT or contractors? Is telecommuting possible?
>
> * Medical Writing for Neurology, Prosthetics or Sports Medicine? My
> research was aimed at understanding how circuits in the spinal cord
> worked to generate and control movement. So I know something about
> the nervous system, muscle function and biomechanics.
>
> Of course, I'm interested in other potential markets for what I have
> to offer. Feel free to suggest where I should go (and let's take the
> obvious "go to..." as given, and probably even redudant -- there's a
> heat advisory where I live).

[clipped]

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com