Re: Anyone have experience with Oustart's WBT tools?

Subject: Re: Anyone have experience with Oustart's WBT tools?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:07:26 -0700

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 14:21 -0400, Karen Casemier wrote:
> My company is currently in the process of evaluating and selecting a new authoring and LMS tool for web-based training. If any Techwhirlers are currently using, or have used Outstart's products in the past, and are willing to share their experiences (off-list, please), I would appreciate it.

I realize, of course, that the decision may not be yours. But with all
the open source LMS programs available, I have to say that I'm surprised
that any company would consider
a proprietary one -- at least without having a good look at the
alternatives. There must be at least half a dozen open source LMSes,
such as Moodle and Segue, all with active communities that give support
for free that is at least as good as any that you can pay for.

The trend in education is exactly the opposite, with many institutions
actively considering open source alternatives. There are even academic
projects like SAKAI to develop open source LMSes. In general, I can't
think of many areas of software in which open source is healthier.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-422-7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Inspiration and craft plus time and effort minus fear and doubt
multiplied by purpose equals song."
- Ray Wylie Hubbard

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com