FW: Document Identification

Subject: FW: Document Identification
From: "Millard, Patrick" <Patrick -dot- Millard -at- kla-tencor -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 20:50:51 -0700

Good evening to all,

Recently our company has been shifting paradigms. We used to provide
Service Manual documentation to our Global Service Engineers. We now
create small procedures all linked to a website for them to use. There
are common subsystems used by many products now. We now have a problem
I am finding very difficult to solve. I wanted to see if there were any
ideas to help give me a fresh perspective.

Currently, if a document needs no change except that it now is
applicable to a new product, the new product must be added to the title
and the revision must be rolled. This affects hundreds of documents
sometimes.

End User issue: There may be 3-6 product names in the document title
before you get to the procedure title. Example (Product X, Product Y,
Product Z, mechanical alignment procedure). This is not very readable.

Publication Issue: This work is time consuming. The technical writers
spend more time ensuring the document is administratively accurate as
opposed to technical content accuracy or innovative ideas for a better
Publications Department.

I would like to change our template so that the product names are
removed from the title and part of the metadata. The Manager in charge
of document release insists that the product name must be in the body of
the document.

Has anyone had to deal with these issues that can offer suggestions?

Thank you for your responses in advance and have a wonderful week!

Take care

Patrick Millard
Technical Publications
KLA-Tencor
Phone: (925) 493-3533
Pager: (888) 513-0638
Patrick -dot- Millard -at- kla-tencor -dot- com

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com