Re: Does a rhetorical question need a '?'

Subject: Re: Does a rhetorical question need a '?'
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:44:41 -0400

Wow, even me, and I was right in line with "several punctuation guides", too...

;-)

Have some faith in your users. If they get tripped up over a question
mark and end up pondering the question for hours on end, do you
*really* think they should be using your product, let alone be allowed
to work unsupervised? ;-)

On 6/13/05, Johan Hiemstra <webmaster -at- techexams -dot- net> wrote:

> I guess I have no choice then and have to go with a ?. I checked several
> punctuation guides and they all state that a question needs a question mark.
> Reason I asked I cause I've seen them rhetorical questions without it and
> figured it 'could' be a style issue. I'm afraid that question mark may lead
> to a distraction for the readers who actually try to answer it. I'll leave
> it up to my proof readers whether I should rewrite that line into a
> statement.
>
> Thanks for the response on this. Even you Bill. ;)

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com