RE: Telecommuting Advice?

Subject: RE: Telecommuting Advice?
From: "Gerald Bourguignon" <gbourguignon -at- johnstonmadvac -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:20:58 -0400

Donna,

You've been getting a lot of good advice in response to your request. My
advice is to use it, particularly those that talk about the importance of
keeping the lines of communication open. My telecommuting experience ended
on a sour note less than 2 years after it began. In hindsight I took on too
many changes at the same time. I moved into a new environment more than a
4-hour commute away, and I had no idea what it would be like to live there,
let alone work there. In addition, the communication wasn't that great when
I was in the office. Meetings would be scheduled from time to time, but they
would always be cancelled. So I guess it shouldn't have been too surprising
to me when communication didn't improve when I started telecommuting.

If you have a good working relationship with your manager and colleagues at
the office now, then it's just a matter of keeping that going once you start
working from home. But even "keeping that going" will take more effort on
your part. Be proactive. As has been pointed out by others, telecommuting
requires a great deal of discipline and focus. It's not for everyone. The
decision to work from home shouldn't be taken lightly.

---
Gérald Bourguignon
Rédacteur technique/Technical Writer
Madvac Inc., Boucherville, QC, Canada