Re: Service Pack 896358

Subject: Re: Service Pack 896358
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:30:11 -0700

It's not a "malfunction." Since chm's are HTML based just like web
pages, it's possible to make them do everything a web page with evil
intent can do. I don't view chm files online because of this, and as a
matter of policy set my applications to not use network or internet
help and my firewalls to deny all applications that don't include settings
to disable it permission to access help files over networks or the internet.
I download all help to local systems (and run the full series of virus and
malware scans on the files before installing them). IMO, help that
requires a user to be connected to a network or the internet is the
single most stupid idea that has ever been introduced in online help.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rochelle McAndrews" <rmcandrews -at- csiu -dot- org>

Perhaps, just maybe if we all start contacting MS in droves, they may
consider looking into the malfunction.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com