RE: general topik of speling

Subject: RE: general topik of speling
From: "Walden Miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:30:32 -0600

Warning, this is a Friday response (my week has already gone downhill).

 1  What specific spelling errors have you found to be common to technical
documentation.
Typically speleing errors of the kind that involves letters inadvertently
inserted/omittefd or those incurred by typos that have somehow ended up in
my spell checker dictionary (no doubt placed their by gremlins).

2  What do you think of spell-checking technology and how do you use it
I don't know about technology, but I think spell-checkers are almost too
much fun. Have you ever tried to run an Indian Sutra through a spell checker
and accept all advice on spelling? Try it. Grammar checkers are even more
fun. But checkers with my son (age 6) is the best. In order, I use a
spell-check everytime I finish a document (except for this email). I try to
never use grammar checkers--they make my head hurt. And I play checkers 3
or 4 times a week with my son.

3 How does current search technology perform vis a vis spelling errors
I don't search for spelling errors. They find me on their own.

4  Your opinion on the topic of spelling difficulties
 This is why <god> created copy-editors. <god> knows I can't spell.

walden

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com