Re: How To: Tactfully deal with salary questions in TW job interviews?

Subject: Re: How To: Tactfully deal with salary questions in TW job interviews?
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:25:24 -0400

Kathleen wrote:

Lou, when you bring this up it always reminds me of computational neural
networks. Is that what is being done there? If not, it might be an
interesting concept. As it is, I'm not sure I understand the purpose of
the Wiki the last time I looked. Would it be another list?

No, no. Communal knowledge capture. Then, because it's on the Web, sharing.

[I'm not speaking specifically of TWPATS. Jerry will do what he wants with that, though I think I understand what he has in mind.]

Look at it this way. Certain topics arise repeatedly. While there's always something new under the sun, there's not so much new under *today's* sun relative to yesterday's. As much as there's a TECHWR-L archive and Google and all that, signal-to-noise on TECHWR-L is low. So it's not as useful nor durable a resource as it might be. It's very in-the-moment, and it's good at that.

But what if you could capture the nuggets, and assemble them into a semi-stable hierarchy with a fixed location? Wheel-spinning subsides. Signal-to-noise is boosted.

Ahh, but who decides the hierarchy? Who will take on the thankless administrative tasks? Enter the Wiki. A self-organizing, hierarchical database of semi-durable information, available on the Web to all. Community edited, community-policed. Contributors, editors, indexers, and fact-checkers all self-select by their willingness to put in a little time on an issue they care about.

One difference is that whole new redundant threads aren't begun, rather the issue at hand is located within the existing hierarchy (or created if it doesn't exist), the existing content examined, then updated or extended as appropriate. Nobody's in charge, because everybody's in charge. Revisions are tracked; in addition to creating or editing, any user can also roll-back.

In the end, the folks who care the most wear down the dabblers and egotists with their energy, and everybody (including general users and lurkers -- and there are at least 100 times more lurkers, always) gets a continuously-vetted, quality resource that's easy to navigate.

Here's a bonus. Shopworn topic arises on TECHWR-L? Link to the appropriate page at TWPATS. Break out of linearity. Use the Web for what it's good at.

Seems crazy, but it works. Look at WikiPedia.

LQ

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com