TOOLS: more ergo stuff

Subject: TOOLS: more ergo stuff
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 16:40:09 -0400

Another tip for those of us who hunch over a hot keyboard all day...

I mentioned that my chiro's ministrations were not having the
desired effect on my headaches (I'd get a few per week), even
though my neck was demonstrably (in the X-rays) returning to
proper curvature.

He said that my headaches only _feel_ like they start in my
neck, at the base of my skull. In reality, they originate
somewhat lower. He suggested a simple exercise:

Stand relaxed, feet shoulder-width apart.
Put your hands behind your back (behind your butt if your arms
are long enough).
Clench/squeeze your shoulder-blades together and hold.
Look up and push your chin toward the ceiling while holding
the shoulder-blades squeezed together.

After a few seconds relax and then repeat.

Do a couple of repetitions every hour or two, or when you
think of it during the day, and especially if you feel
that "I may have a headache coming on" twinge.

You can do it while seated, but c'mon, you need to get
your rump out of the chair once in a while anyway.

It may be co-inky-dink, but I started doing that three
weeks ago and do it maybe six or eight times per day
(takes less than thirty seconds per). I haven't had a
single headache in almost three weeks.

If it works for you, you start saving on analgesics and
misery. If it doesn't, you've lost nothing.

Resume on pre-weekend activities.

Kevin

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com