RE: New TECHWR-L Poll - ADD

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll - ADD
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 11:46:55 -0700

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 14:31 -0400, mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com wrote:

> We started messing with our own evolution when we started using medicine
> to mask (or to save us from the fatal effects of) many diseases and
> conditions that would previously have killed the sufferers before they
> managed to reproduce.

Natural selection isn't always defined in terms of health.

It could be argued that the ability to prolong lives is beneficial.
First, a person with a mental or physical health problem could have
other traits worth passing on. Second, even if they don't actually
reproduce, the fact that they are around to share knowledge could still
result in the preservation of their genes in their relatives.

In general, evolution is a lot trickier than most people think.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421.7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com