Re: website ease of use

Subject: Re: website ease of use
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:53:33 -0400

Michele wrote:

So, I was wondering, if I developed a CSS that was all encompassing with tables, and all the myriad and sundry that goes into a CSS, would Peter still be able to use DW to put his files on our server? Or will I have to develop a custom interface to allow for the "ftp"ing of files?

You can certainly develop stylesheets for each "site" that make them look similar (that's the goal, right?), even though the underlying HTML structures are different. Obviously there are limits.

The harder part will be getting Peter to use his (with DW). He's used to controlling all presentation.

It's definitely a two-stylesheet situation, though. While you may be able to weave them into one and still get all the cascading right, there's no real advantage to it.

CSS is dependent on X/HTML semantics and structure. Peter can change his X/HTML structure; Bill mostly can't. Best you can do is standardize the look around Bill's site, then hack-up some CSS that makes Peter's site look as similar as possible.

Expect cross-browser issues. Kick me a sample and I can offer some tips. (BTW, I was a beta tester on the first EE release.)

LQ

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com