RE: symbolize roles

Subject: RE: symbolize roles
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:01:42 -0700

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 11:48 -0700, Lori Olcott wrote:
> This is a very valid concern. Some customers might not mind allowing
> their monitors to know what else the system can do. For others, this
> could pose a security risk. Or they may simply not want to make anything
> tempting to lower levels of users.

> > On the other hand, they might not want the users with a monitor role to
> > know about the anti-kablooey command or screen, so it would make sense
> > to hide it.

The only way that this would pose a security risk is if the software
and/or the system it runs on has lax security. For example, if the
program stored passwords unencrypted, then curious monitor-level users
could easily log in to an account with higher privileges.
If this or anything like it is the situation, then the whole arrangement
of users into groups is fundamentally flawed and might as well be
scrapped. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that any installation of the
software is going to have far larger concerns than curious users.

At any rate, security by secrecy is poor security. All it takes is
curiosity to break it. If the software is properly secured, having low
level users know that others can do more than they can isn't a problem;
they can learn, but the shouldn't actually be able to use what they
learn.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421.7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield