re: Training Documentation

Subject: re: Training Documentation
From: "Winkelspecht, Laura" <Laura -dot- Winkelspecht -at- shopko -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:58:28 -0500

Hi Karen,

On digest, so sorry if this is late.

I do a variety of technical writing, instructional design, and training
where I work, but it's all internal, so your circumstances might be
different.

As far as having you be responsible for the training materials, it does
make sense that you at least work together with the trainers. Having one
point person makes it easier to have materials that are a cohesive
whole. I can't see moving the documentation to Framemaker unless
everyone who needs to update the document has Framemaker. Framemaker
would make sense if you want to reuse content from your documentation or
have a more sophisticated design than Word allows.

Usually where I work, we have one person (or sometimes a team) that is
responsible for all reference documentation, job aids, and training
materials (among other things) for a project. With a group, we tend to
run into issues if we aren't all communicating about who's doing what.

I can tell you not to assume that the large font is bad design. Some
trainers prefer the large type for training materials. It makes it
easier to follow when leading training. The training materials may also
have more space between lines and wider margins. In addition, sometimes
the style of training documentation is different, more lively and
conversational that a user manual.

Hope that helps.

***********************************
Laura Winkelspecht
Technical Writer
ShopKo Stores Inc.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
--Henry David Thoreau

Laura Winkelspecht
Technical Writer
ShopKo Stores Inc.
920-429-7834

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
--Henry David Thoreau

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com