Re: symbolize roles

Subject: Re: symbolize roles
From: Ed Wurster <glassnet -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:25:34 -0400

Sorry for a double post, Kevin. The list rejected my message.

mlist wrote:

> Well thanks, but those are variants of warning symbols.
> The piece that's missing is precisely the piece that I
> was asking about -- what you call "various details".

> I know that I can put any kind of picture at all inside
> a caution triangle, a "don't do this" barred circle,
> a blue or green "do this circle".

[snipped some good stuff here]

> What's a symbol that either a lot of people would recognize
> as "system operator", or could readily be taught that meaning
> without conflict with some other usage?

> What's a symbol (or an outline for symbols) that either a
> lot of people would recognize as "system admin", or could
> readily be taught that meaning without conflict with some
> other usage? And which would be easily distinguishable from
> the symbol for "system operator"?

> Same question for "system monitor".

> OR... if those terms are too specific,
> What's a symbol that represents "highest local authority",
> and is commonly used with what other symbol to represent
> "regular grunt labor", and in turn could be (or is) used
> near what symbol to represent "empowered to look and warn,
> but not to make changes". (Hmm. Crossing guard? :-)

> Gee, it's almost like the UNIX file permissions RWX
> (Read, Write, Execute), although they'd be in an
> order more like WXR (highest to lowest)... but those are
> not symbolic, even if they do convey the flavor to readers
> who happen to be knowledgeable.

Please go back and read my posts. Put together the ideas and hand off
to a graphic artist.

You are considering my words as if I am defining the solution. I am
pointing at ideas, and hoping you will solve this. Select from the
best concepts, and it will work.

What goes inside are capital letters for your functional roles (like
UNIX file perms, 755 is much easier to remember.)

ADMIN: 'A' in a circle.
OPERATOR: 'O' in upside-down triangle.
MONITOR: 'M' in a square.

Use color and shape variations to taste. Might help to change the type
face of the letters you use.

There is no symbol for your roles until you design it. I hope someone
has icons for you that disprove this.

--
Ed Wurster (Voorhees, NJ)
Tech Tips Blog