Re: User rant

Subject: Re: User rant
From: Jeffrey Osier-Mixon <jefro -at- jefro -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:31:32 -0700

[This is actually related to technical writing---the operational side, for those of us who work from home and must build and maintain our own networks.]

I have gone through a couple of Linksys routers and found them to be problematic. The docs were fine, the product support was useless. Last time I had a standard router and was trying to create a VPN tunnel to use for work. Nothing doing. And setting up networks is something I do as a side business.
After several calls to their tech support and doing some online research, I discovered that there are registers in the thing that are not addressible by the firmware tools, but can be set in operation. Moreover, they are permanent registers---meaning that resetting the device or flashing a new firmware does not help. Linksys did not confirm this, but it is the only reasonable explanation that fits my experience. I was offered a factory reset if I paid shipping.
I took the money and purchased a $25 D-Link router, and have been happily tunneling with VPN ever since. I can't testify to their customer service, as I have not needed it in over a year of operation, but the documentation and firmware tools worked just fine for me.

As with all rants, your mileage may vary quite widely from mine.

It is precisely because of the phone support that I
highly recommend Linksys products. 800-326-7114
The written docs were OK, and fine for simple networks.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com