Re: disadvantages of angle brackets?

Subject: Re: disadvantages of angle brackets?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 21:10:02 -0500

I would not necessarily select Microsoft as the absolute authority.

To me, the important thing is that whichever style you adopt, you use
it consistently. This is the sort of thing that should be covered in
your organization's style guide and employed the same way in any
documents which reach the same audience.

Personally, I like the angle brackets as easier to deal with since it
is a typographic analog to the actual action. Wading through excess
verbiage when it is unnecessary makes little sense.

Numbered steps are appropriate when dealing with some sort of compound
procedure that requres different actions. Selecting the pieces of a
dropdown menu system is a single action, so numbering its pieces would
not be particularly sensible.

David

On 7/1/05, Tom Johnson <thj -at- tampabay -dot- rr -dot- com> wrote:

> Does Microsoft avoid the angle bracket style because of some sort of
> globalization issue? Or because the angle bracket style is less intuitive
> for technical people?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com