IEEEComSoc membership?

Subject: IEEEComSoc membership?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 09:35:10 -0400

Sean Hower wondered: <<I was thinking about joining IEEEComSoc. Can anyone who is a member give me a quick rundown on what you see as the benefits of joining? I've read through their Web site, and I've contacted the head of the local chapter for more information. What I want right now is the tech writer's perspective, if any, on this org.>>

I'm not a member, but that's not to express any critical judgment of IEEE; it's simply that I only have so much energy, and that energy is currently devoted to STC. IEEE's PCS has a good journal, with lots of practical advice presented in a more rigorous manner, and a good newsletter, with even more practical advice but present more informally. They're smaller than STC, but have an equally good reputation.

I'd say that the overall quality of their publications is similar to that of STC, but that they have a recognizably different "flavor"--one that I'd be hard put to define, though IEEE members seem much more heavily focused on computers and telecomm; STC seems more diverse, with a healthy population of scientific communicators, policies and procedures people, and other specialties including instructional design. Have a look at the STC web site for examples of their SIGs (http://www.stc.org/sig_links.asp). I'm not sufficiently familiar with PCS to tell you how diverse they are; I do know enough of their members to be able to say with confidence that they include many top-notch people who are every bit as eager as STC members to provide advice and assistance.

For what it's worth, many people belong to both professional groups, and take advantage of the unique things provided by both organization--and many of these unique things are the people (members), who differ between the organizations. The key to getting significant benefits, whether from STC or IEEE, is more than just the publications: it's really the people. Thus, find out what your local chapter of both organizations is doing, and who is involved in that chapter. (Note that the chapter, like techwr-l, can be entirely virtual.) It's the human interactions facilitated by the professional society that give you the real bang for the buck, and you'll have to interact with these people to obtain the maximum benefit.

www.geoff-hart.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com