RE: Disadvantages of angle brackets?

Subject: RE: Disadvantages of angle brackets?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 09:10:26 -0700

I completely disagree.

One of the most frequent complaints I hear from neophyte software users is
that there's too much to read. Users get lost in a sea of extraneous words
and can't find the important keys burried in the text. And frequently, the
complaint is that there's so much attention paid to the "point here, click
this" instructions that the concepts the user really needs to learn are
obfuscated.

Please remember that New User != (does not equal) Stupid User. If you use
the angle bracket technique, you cut down on the number of words the user
needs to read and let the important information - how to get to the feature
they want - stand out.

My two cents.
-Sue Gallagher

<snip>
> The conservative approach is to write out everything, as you have done
> in your second option. It pays to remember that while this may
> hypothetically take your power user a bit longer to read (2-3 seconds
> per procedure?) compared with using arrows, these people are consulting
> the documentation rarely,...
>
> In contrast, the general or neophyte user who will be consulting the
> documentation frequently suffers from a significant penalty if you use
> the arrows: if they fail to understand this convention, they fail to
> understand your instructions, and probably won't come back to your
> documentation again. For them, imposing a penalty of a few seconds is a
> non-issue: ...
<snip>

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com