RE: Free Photos

Subject: RE: Free Photos
From: "Chad LaCroix" <chad -at- architext-usa -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:29:25 -0400

Okay, I have poked around http://www.sxc.hu/ a bit now and have looked at a
few photos (thanks to everyone that pointed me there) and I noticed that a
couple photos that I may be able to use include a caption under them that
states "There are no usage restrictions for this photo." Is this considered
an "explicit waiver of rights" or do I still stand a chance of getting
myself into trouble if I use them for commercial purposes?

Thanks!

-Chad

<snip from BC>

Chad,

If you're going to re-use a photograph for commercial purposes, be
quite sure that you have secured the necessary rights. Googling
around for an image, unless there is an explicit waiver of rights (or
the right kind of Creative Commons license) on the same page as the
photograph, won't make it.

In general, stock photography firms (where you typically pay a
one-time fee to buy a royalty-free image, or, in some cases, license a
"rights-managed" image for re-use) exist for a very good reason:
generally speaking, there *are* no sources of "free, good quality
photos," other than ones that you might take yourself and own all the
rights to.

http://www.fotosearch.com/ is a tool that will let you search the
databases of many of the larger stock photography vendors.

Good luck!

All best,

Barry Campbell

--
Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
http://enrevanche.blogspot.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com