Re: Computer System

Subject: Re: Computer System
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 23:50:21 -0400

Jon, you've invited a maelstrom of replies, all over the dial. How
you might secure your Windows system, hardware and software
prophylaxis tips, "I do this and I've never had problems", all that.

I'll skip ahead. Evidently you aren't slave to a Windows
environment or you wouldn't be asking.

On OS X you may use MS Office (OfficeX) plus anything else that'll
run under X -- which means any UNIX GUI app. So you've got MS Word,
OpenOffice Writer, cool DocBook implementations, many more.

If you don't mind turning a wrench or two, you can be free of this
nonsense soon. You might get your feet wet with a tidy Linux distro
like Ubuntu or Mepis that'll run on your x86 hardware, then get out
your checkbook and move on to Apple hardware and OS X -- the finest
GUI that UNIX has ever seen.

It depends on your energy, curiosity, and how much your career and
clients demand undiluted Kool-Aid. There's a way out; you'll be
more marketable if you learn it. All trails lead to UNIX and things
like it.

Wait for a reply from brother Byfield.

LQ

ps. OS X led me to Linux. In my personal environment, I'm never
going back.

Jonathan Gravois wrote:
> Having spent from 12:20 to now (10:00) cleaning my XPPro
> machine of a Trojan virus, I am wondering of the feasibility of Technical
> Writing on the Macintosh OS X platform. Except for FrameMaker, the major
> programs are available on that platform (Word, Excel, InDesign, DreamWeaver,
> Flash, etc.). What do you guys in the field think about the feasibility?
> Frustrated with Micro$oft's Security Standards,
> Jon

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com