Re: Computer System

Subject: Re: Computer System
From: Ed Wurster <glassnet -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:28:42 -0400

Jonathan Gravois wrote:

> Having spent from 12:20 to now (10:00) cleaning my XPPro
> machine of a Trojan virus, I am wondering of the feasibility of Technical
> Writing on the Macintosh OS X platform. Except for FrameMaker, the major
> programs are available on that platform (Word, Excel, InDesign, DreamWeaver,
> Flash, etc.). What do you guys in the field think about the feasibility?

What will your clients think? That is the real question. Also examine
your idea in terms of how it affects your wages or gross income.

Windows is not going away. Linux is on the rise.

Removing a single pesky bad guy takes 30 minutes or so. If you let
your guard down on any o/s, it is only a matter of WHEN you'll get
bit.

Anyone who works alone much of the time needs virtual support. If you
think a particular o/s is "easy," I can put you in touch with a
long-time user (high level), who can give you a good estimate of the
time you'll spend on maintenance issues.

Every system needs periodic care. Here is my technical writing tie-in:

Ed's Clean Windows Remedy
- System Restore OFF
- Install Firefox, AVG, Ad-Aware and Spybot
- Update AVG, Ad-Aware and Spybot
- Reboot to Safe Mode
- Run AVG, Ad-Aware and Spybot
- Reboot