Lotus Notes

Subject: Lotus Notes
From: poetessintexas -at- yahoo -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 07:40:51 -0600

Dear fellow writers,

I need your assistance - if you will - to help me with
a problem I'm having. I just started working for a
new company that uses Lotus Notes. I'm finding it
extremely difficult (coming from years working in a
Microsoft environment) to adjust - it's happening
slowly.

However, after fighting a long battle to get
FrameMaker and Acrobat (or at least some decent
publications tools), my boss is indicating that he
wants all my documents developed and posted using
"Domino" (I'm still unsure of what that software is
all about - just that it's used in a Notes
environment).

He thinks its much easier for the end user to open a
Notes database/document than for Acrobat to open
(since Acrobat is a 3rd party application). No matter
that the rest of the world uses Acrobat with ease. He
also wants the documents on our intranet to be
searchable and is not sure that whatever search engine
we decide on can crawl through acrobat docs for the
keywords. He told me that he hopes Acrobat doesn't,
frankly, because he wants us to be a Notes only shop.

I'm at a loss. If they are trying to force me to
create documents in WordPad so that I can cut and
paste into Notes, I'm afraid I'm not long for this
job. Has anyone out there had a similar experience in
a Notes shop? How did you handle the problem? Can
you give me some reasons I can hand to my management
so that I can keep FrameMaker (my boss is all about
content and could care less that it costs me time or
that the document isn't formatted neatly).

-Lost in Lotus Land

Joy - poetessintexas(at)yahoo(dot)com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com