Re: labeling & bold: EXAMPLE (was: labled info in bold...)

Subject: Re: labeling & bold: EXAMPLE (was: labled info in bold...)
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:57:09 -0400

It isn't a question of right and wrong. It's a question of what works best for the user (rather than which way you, diotima, or I, Dick, have seen it more often). I think that, absent definitive usability testing results, an argument can be made either way. If my client felt strongly that it should be one way and not the other, I don't think it's a battle I'd want to fight.

diotima wrote:

ok, now wait a minute, maybe i haven't been clear enough. what i need is a real world example.

here is a tech writing position on monster: http://tinyurl.com/afvfl

you will notice in the peach-bordered box at the top that the labels are in bold, and what is labeled is not. "Company" is in bold, "Avega" is not. "Status" is bold, "Full Time, Employee" is not.

this is how i am used to seeing this type of information presented. so, is everyone going to tell me that this is "wrong"? please explain.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com