RE: "Email" vs. "E-mail"

Subject: RE: "Email" vs. "E-mail"
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 12:09:38 -0400

> I strongly suspect that "email" is becoming the preferred term more
> rapidly because of its ubiquity.

Error is like that, but there's no reason to not stand up to the unreasoning
mob.

> Also, it appears that those syllables which become blended--in which
> the mouth tends to glide from one sound to the next without a definite
> break--may also be faster to see the removal of punctuation that is an
> artifact of the term's origin. We move smoothly from "e" to "em" while
> to retain the long "e" sound we have an interrupt between the "e" and
> the "commerce". This, obviously, is rank speculation on my part and
> not the result of any sort of rigorous inquiry.

Can you post one example of a word that supports the removal of the hyphen
in "e-mail"? No one can, and that's why "email" is incorrect. There's
nothing so unique about that word that endows it with the privilege of being
treated any differently than any other new word in the language.

> As far as retaining the hyphen in "e-commerce" and "e-business"--I
> rarely use either term at all.

The issue is not the frequency of use of a term but the correct spelling of
it when used.

Bonnie Granat | www.GranatEdit.com
bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com
Cambridge, Massachusetts, US