Re: Anyone know of tech writers that became program/product managers?

Subject: Re: Anyone know of tech writers that became program/product managers?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:04:02 -0500

As it happens, I am now being considered for a project management position.

In some companies, a "product manager" is in more of a marketing
role--seeking to help establish pricing, distribution, and collecting
feedback for future versions. This may also include construction of
use cases or other requirements statements that may otherwise reside
in the project management function.

In the project management universe, a "program" is a collection of
projects that are similarly managed. In a very large program, each
subproject may have a separate project manager who reports to the
program manager.

Strictly speaking, therefore, a project or program management role is
usually more of an organizational management function, although
certainly a product may also be managed using project management
methods.

However, these definitions may be more fluid than we might wish--so
the definition of the role may vary quite a bit from organization to
organization.

David

On 7/15/05, Amanda A <bluestreaker1977 -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Randomly networked my way to an interview next week for a position as a
> program manager and would rather not screw it up... would love to hear from
> anyone who knows about this stuff!
>
> Amanda

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com