Good Systems Documentation

Subject: Good Systems Documentation
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 07:07:30 -0700 (PDT)

Systems wise, what do end-users want to know?

At the high level: They want to know what business
goals can be accomplish with the system and, MOST
IMPORTANTLY, how do all of these goals interrelate -
particuarly within the context of the implemented
system.

At a lower-level: End-users want to know what tasks
must be performed to accomplish the individual goals
and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, how do all of these tasks
interrelate.

At the detail level: End-users want to know what
specific steps they must follow to accomplish tasks.

Whether we put all of the above in a "Businesss
Overview", "Operations Overview", "Architecture
Overview" "Infastructure Overview" (I'll also throw in
Functional Overview) - who cares. When you strip away
all the hoopla: task = operation = business function =
process; and architecture = infastructure. The reason
why we have all these terms for the same thing has
little to do with logic - it has alot to do with
politics.

Do end-users want to have a "database description"?
Thats too soft: Data wise, end-users want to know what
the essential data entities (objects) are and, MOST
IMPORTANTLY, how they all interrelate. And they may
also want to know about the attributes of these
entities.

AJ Markos -
Focused On the Essential Like a Laser.

--- bridget -dot- fitzgerald -at- thomson -dot- com wrote:

> Hello,
> I've been tasked to create a systems document or
> developers' guide. I'm
> actually documenting a pathway that encompasses a
> variety of systems and
> processes. My question to you is what goes into a
> "good" systems guide?
> Are there standard pieces that should be included?
> This is my first one
> of this magnitude (I've only done individual systems
> thus far) and could
> use some guidance. So far, I have the following
> outline:
>
> I. Summary Description
> A. Business Overview
> B. Operations Overview