Re: How to know whether a person clicked a link in an email

Subject: Re: How to know whether a person clicked a link in an email
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 06:33:12 -0400

Kathleen and Lou both have raised valid issues concerning the relationship between consumers and corporate marketers. However, this has nothing to do with the original question, which was value-neutral.

Caroline's original question did not mention consumers--or even customers--nor did it mention sales or marketing. She asked about verifying that individuals accessed specific documents. There are many situations, as has already been pointed out, in which it is desirable or necessary to verify this information (controlled documents within a company come to mind; but there are others as well). Caroline also said nothing about concealing the fact of the tracking. I assumed it was a situation where the company policy says everybody has to read the document and the tracking feature would be a convenient way to verify compliance. Sounds like a good way to implement SOX to me.

When I responded to Caroline, I mentioned marketing because marketers do use the technology for all sorts of questionable purposes. I wasn't endorsing those uses.

I doubt that I've persuaded Lou or Kathleen, but I think we've all made our positions clear at this point.

Dick

Kathleen wrote:

Well, it hasn't been declared OT yet, so I'll chime in with my .02.
Personally, I don't even like acknowledging email from my sister. But I
think there's a larger issue at stake. In light of the massive
double-speak in which corporations wrap their dealings with consumers
(e.g., just read the privacy/policy statement your bank sends you
periodically), it's very hard to opt out. Your points are correct,
David, one can check, but I ask you, how much time are you willing to
devote to this issue. Do you have a lot of spare time on your hands? Do
you understand all of the information you're given in all the fine
print? Or are you just comfortable with the status quo? Personally, I
don't want to spend my time tracking that junk. Not only that, I'm not
sophisticated but I'm a lot more savvy than a lot of people who use the
net--are you saying that we all have to become experts just to protect
our personal interests?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com