RE: Knowledge Management

Subject: RE: Knowledge Management
From: "" <rising_fawn -at- excite -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:03:36 -0400 (EDT)

As a former Knowledge Engineer, I wrote an article on KM that was later reprinted in the Boston Broadside. Our firewall has kicked me out, so here is a copy that was printed from our local STC chapter: http://stc-sd.org/newsletter/november_2002/techissues.htm

KM has become a buzzword in government circles, where bringing intellectual capital together from various government entities in a post-9/11 world has very much evolved into a necessity to share information. While reading the 911 Commission Report, for example, I was interested to find the subject mentioned with respect to government agencies (see Information Sharing and Knowledge Management at http://www.9-11commission.gov/hearings/hearing7.htm, for example).

KM as it applies to information sharing in an 'open source' world addresses the need to provide information in a meaningful way. Information can then be captured in a knowledge base, for example. Managing that data may then become a challenge, however. That is where Knowledge Engineers, Content Managers, Information Architects, etc. can be involved.

KM seminars abound - Chief Information Officers (CIOs) and others involved in the field are responsible for overseeing the acquisition, management, and dissemination of information (e.g., publishing information, sharing it across the enterprise, etc). In some cases, KM is useful for those who wish to secure government contracts.

Lastly, KM World has some good info on the subject :-) http://www.kmworld.com/

HTH,

Teri

From: Peter

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:02:06 -0400

Your last sentence defines the term. IMNVHO it is nothing more than a

buzzword. Before anyone gets their pants in an uproar, I say that because

most executive types want a KM system for their company, but they are unable

to articulate the business need or the type of KM required.

Having said that, I consider KM the means by which the collective data

within an organization can be communicated. It may or may not be implemented

and combined with data mining. (techniques for the detection of existence of

significant relationships between data.)

Yes, I know my working definition may very well be oversimplified, but a

search on Google will turn up sufficient detail.

_____

Peter

> Hello all, what is "knowledge management" consist of? I found this:

> The term 'knowledge management' refers to a systematic set of processes

> and tools that allow an organization to generate value from its

> intellectual and knowledge-based assets.

> But I don't have any idea what these actually means. Is there sw that is

> developed that is a repository of knowledge? Like a data mining database

> that is accessible by users?

> I am so bad at buzz words.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com