RE: Anyone know of tech writers that became program/product manag ers?

Subject: RE: Anyone know of tech writers that became program/product manag ers?
From: "Walden Miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:36:39 -0600

BTW, I wouldn't lump product managers in with program/project managers.
They are different things. I think the leap is much easier from tech
writing to program/project management than to product management.

Lisa

I generally agree with all of Lisa's post with the one exception that I
think that the leap from TW to Product and Project manager are about equal,
but the leap from TW to Program Manager is harder (unless the leaper is
already a Director that manages managers).

The leap to product manager requires an interest in products and how markets
work, while taking the responsibility of defining a product and the window
that will be successful for a company.

The leap to project manager requires an interest in task analysis and
critical path thinking, while having to take the responsibility for the
whole teams behavior, productivity, etc.

In both cases, the responsibility is the major step up from a TW world.
Communication is essential. Multitasking is essential. Ability to absorb
odd and often conflicting data and make hash of it is essential. Being a
good TW provides the background for all of this.

Having to be the person that staff take pot shots at is the big change. Some
people take to management, others don't. Some people take to project
leadership others take to product definition and UI design (often requires
strong Product Manager input).

Anyway, it is a fine line I am trying to draw here, but I think a useful one
for those that are considering jumping into the management world.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com