Re: technical term consistency

Subject: Re: technical term consistency
From: Mitchell Maltenfort <mmalten -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:49:11 -0400

How to get them to be consistent? I'd suggest giving the authors a
few simple examples and trust the tendency of human nature to imitate.

How should they do it? Here's my $0,01 (I never over-value my own
opinion). Start with the term you're defining, in _italics_ (or the
text-based cheat I use here) , give measurements units where they're
available, and a simple definition. An additional statement or two
puts each term in context:

_Homeostasis_ is the stable equilibrium of the body's internal
states, such as temperature or pH. Deviations from equilibrium may be
a sign of stress or disease.

_Heart rate_, measured in beats per minute, is the rate at which the
heart muscle rhythmically expands and contracts. Heart rate increases
with excitement, exercise or stress. Fast, slow or irregular heart
beat may be a sign of illness.

_Blood pressure_, measured in mm Hg, is the pressure at which the
heart pumps blood out into the body. Blood pressure increases with
higher heart rate, amount of blood pumped with each beat (_stroke
volume_), and hardening or narrowing of blood vessels.

Heart rate and blood pressure are both considered_vital signs_, easily
measured indicators of the patient's health.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

--
I can answer any question.
"I don't know" is an answer.