RE: best way to put a long Word doc on the Web?

Subject: RE: best way to put a long Word doc on the Web?
From: "Donald H. White" <trlbldr -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:30:39 -0400

Aliza,

A 3Mb Word document? I don't know about Office 2003--I "still" use Office
XP--but Word files of that size have caused problems in the past.
Congratulations!

As for publishing it on the Web...Acrobat Professional 7.x does a much
better job compressing large Office files than its immediate predecessor. I
haven't noticed any "PDF creep" since I installed and started using it. On
the other hand, you can save your Word file as an HTML page or site and
import it into Dreamweaver MX 2004. Be sure to use the command to clean up
Microsoft HTML, for there's a ton of faux HTML code in Office documents
saved in HTML form through the Microsoft interface. You'll probably need to
do some work refashioning the data for optimum Web presentation (for
instance, to cut down on the scrolling lengths per "page"), but it should
work okay.

Good luck!

Donald H. White
Senior Technical Writer/Editor
James River Technical Communications LLC
804.795.2914
dwhite -at- jrtcllc -dot- com
www.jrtcllc.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com