Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss.

Subject: Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss.
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 08:08:57 -0700 (PDT)

I remain anti-certification and I am alternately amused and irritated
by the debate. But I wonder if specialized TW certifications might help
improve the current clueless recruiting scene.

I think the recruiter's current fascination with trivial but specific
tools might just represent a demand from employers for some type of
certification. For example, a job description might require
"FrameBlaster v2.0016" or "RoboHELP MegaBucks 2006" when really they
just want someone who knows DTP, or how to create online help. But
since there is no cert for that, they use tool experience as a proxy to
demonstrate skill. A generalized TW certification might help here.

Mike O.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com