RE: Generating Printed Documentation Troubles

Subject: RE: Generating Printed Documentation Troubles
From: "Humphries, Ola" <Ola -dot- Humphries -at- energy -dot- sungard -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:07:06 -0500

Here is a non-technical answer to Jonny's first problem below. I often have
a similar error (This file is in use by another user, do you want to open a
copy?) when in fact, the file is not in use by another user (named as me)
and has been closed. I often just choose to open a copy and save it to
another name by adding a "2" after the original name, such as
fileIwant2.xls. Then I can do whatever work I need to do. Later I will
delete the first file and rename the second one to the original name.
However, if I have the time at the moment, I log off the desktop and then
log back in. This clears the error message. I get this error situation a lot
when working in ExCel. I think it is caused by some flaw in Windows that
doesn't close files down totally and just leaves them hanging. I haven't
checked out the Microsoft support files, which likely address this problem
in more technical language.

As for the second problem, are you working with Word's Master Files? Is the
printed document you refer to a Word .doc file or a PDF file? The order in
which Adobe Acrobat is installed vis a vis Word is important in having
Word's links be maintained when you make a PDF file. Someone on the list (I
imagine Dick Margulies or a similar teckkie) will be able to tell you about
this, I'm sure.

Ola Humphries
SunGard Energy Solutions, Houston Texas

,
=20
I have 2 questions relating to generating printed documention using RoboHel=
p X5: =20

1: The first is that every time I run the printed documentation wizard. I
get the Microsoft Word error message from "This file is in use by another
application or user. (c:\Documents and Settings\...\Normal.dot)". I am able
to complete the process successfully but this error message pops up a number
of times, each time opening a new Word document which I then have to close
not before being asked if I want to save a global template. This is a real
nuisance and waste of time. I have tried closing all Word and Outlook before
generating. I have tried saving normal. dot under a different name. This
does not help. (The "prompt before saving template" in Word checkbox is not
checked either). =20 Neither QuickSoft support (my local reseller in Israel)
nor my IT manager were able to solve this problem. =20
2: My second question is whether there is a way to generate printed
documentation that maintains all the hyperlinks in the project file and
therefore all linked topics in the project. Currently, no links are active
and topics not in the TOC are not included in the printed documentation
book. (Unless you drag them over individually from the "Top Level Folder"
view. My objective is to produce guides that are in fact sub-sections of the
Help and I wish to maintain all the links in the output (Word or PDF
document). =20 Thanks, =20 Jonny Benjamin

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com