RE: Certification--a new concept. Discuss

Subject: RE: Certification--a new concept. Discuss
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 15:15:58 -0700 (PDT)

I'm sorry, but at this time, I'm not going to rehash why I think
certification is a good idea.

I'll make one promise. If I ever become the head of the certifying
body, I won't make you do anything on your vacation, your birthday,
or your anniversary, because I don't want to damage your quality of
life.

--- eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:

> But John, it IS the same thing. If your certification body requires
> me to
> have XML knowledge for example, why should my employer send me out
> to get
> training when I could be better informed working on my own and
> corresponding on lists?

Because some forward thinking employers see the benefit to
certification and they see the benefits to them to have you know
those skills? I'm at one now and they are paying to put four
supervisors through the certification process; they buy their books,
they pay their courses, they pay their salaries when they are in
training, and they pay them more once if they receive it.

> Why should I get the certification if I'm already employed?

I'm employed at various time too....and sometimes I'm not

> Why should I sacrifice anything to prove I'm better than the next
> candidate if I can prove that without the asinine certification?

I hope you don't have to

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

?I can win an argument on any topic,
against any opponent. People know this,
and steer clear of me at parties.
Often, as a sign of their great respect,
they don't even invite me."
Dave Barry

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com