Re: Include Service Pack Release Notes in Online Help?

Subject: Re: Include Service Pack Release Notes in Online Help?
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:17:57 -0700

I've taken to building up release notes, cumulatively, over the life of a major revision. So the 7.2.1 release notes would have separate sections for what was added or fixed in 7.2.1, 7.2, 7.1.3, 7.1.2, 7.1, 7.0.1, and 7.0, for example. Known issues are collected in a single section whose content "rolls" from one release to the next, with newly added issues at the top of the list and clearly flagged to get your attention.

Except for the known issues (which roll forward until resolved), I start with a clean slate at each major release. In my example, then, the 8.0 release notes would have a section on what was added or fixed in that release alone.

The 7.2.1 release notes would still be available to customers, though...at least until I felt sure I'd moved all the useful information into some other document (help, user's guide, white paper, whatever was appropriate).

--David

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com