Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss

Subject: Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:49:35 -0400

Is it job hopping? Or is it employers who are uninterested in
retention of employees and don't care about retraining new guys? I
mean, do technical writers job hop because they want to job hop, or is
job hopping a result of business practices?

It's not a matter of you envying your company officerts, I think, it's
a matter of your quality of family life versus your employer's need
for you to sacrifice your family life.

And, I don't think anyone is arguing about not taking night classes at
uni. I think the argument -- my argument -- is that improving your
capabilities for your employer by blowing down a week of family
vacation seems shortsighted. Do you live to work or work to live?

On 7/29/05, David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> There is a missing aspect to all this.
>
> Many people work for companies in which professional development just
> isn't a priority.
>
> However, job-hopping has become a part of the landscape for many. Just
> because you may have a poor regard for the company now employing
> you--or even be suffering from envy of the company's officers--the
> simple fact is that you will probably not be working there through an
> entire career.
>
> Thus, it may be an investment in your own employability and
> compensation to do the steps necessary for professional development,
> even if the company will not send you on their time.
>
> Of course issues of quality of life should be included in your plans,
> but the two extremes focused upon in this thread are insufficient,
> IMNSHO, to cover all cases.

======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com