How to do professional development WITHOUT vacay RE: Certification--a new concept. Discuss

Subject: How to do professional development WITHOUT vacay RE: Certification--a new concept. Discuss
From: "Wilcox, Rose" <rwilcox -at- ssqi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:17:56 -0700

> I can see both sides of the coin as well, but I happen to work for a
> company where I only get two weeks of sick/vacation time combined. As
> a single mom with two kids (one who has medical problems), I do not
> have an extra day to spend on personal development or taking a
> vacation - all of my time during any given year is taken as time to
> spend with my sick son.

Yes, I watched the discussion of this luxury -- vacation time -- with some amusement. (BTW, The word "vacation" in the subject line makes one's post get rejected, apparently).

At least it's good to HAVE vacation time. When my kid was little, I was a consultant, not having any vacation time. For me career development was:
- Reading books about career-related subjects
- Keep up with periodicals in fields of interest
- Later in my career, reading websites of interest (free!)
- Volunteering to do tasks on the job that stretched my skills
- Any freebie training I could get my hands on (rare and far between but much appreciated)

Although my child is grown, I still tend to train and think like this. Although I make more money now and have less outgo (or do I? I wonder sometimes with my mother ill and my daughter in college) than I did in those days, if I had the money for a long vacation, I would probably still use it for family or friends or leisure.... but I always like to "keep my hand in" and stay on top of new trends or at least, those I am particularly interested in. I also have certain career directions I'm interested in and do have a willingness to put in some spare time in training.

I think I would take local classes rather than spending a great deal of money and time going out of state, though.

I would love to hear other ideas on this subject -- cheaper and less time consuming ways to develop professionally for single parents or others who have lots of obligations outside of work.

> If I could just talk my company into caring about my personal
> development, maybe I could better my skills during the other 50 weeks in the year.

I don't have that luxury so much, not being captive, but this also seems like a good subject to chime in on. Anyone have any luck doing this -- that is, convincing your company to outlay dough or time as an investment in one's personal or career development?

Rose A. Wilcox
Senior Technical Writer
480-586-2645
480-580-0530 (cell)
Rwilcox -at- ssqi -dot- com
Writing is the hardest work in the world not involving heavy lifting. - Pete Hamill

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com