Re: QUERY? Comment?

Subject: Re: QUERY? Comment?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 12:10:50 -0500

First, I don't think "choose a device line" is particularly clear. Are
you speaking of a "row"?

In the first instance, if the selection is indeed a check box, then
what is the problem with the suggestion?

Next, much depends upon whether you are speaking of online help--with
the screen in front of the user--or a user manual. If the latter, I
would use a screen capture of the relevant element to make the
selection clear. If what you have is a table (that contains "device
lines"), you could in the screen capture show one selected with the
associated dialog...illustrating clearly both the selection and its
results. This also works well in online help, if done appropriately,
but I think is especially needed in manuals.

David

On 8/1/05, JBlom -at- ricoh-europe -dot- com <JBlom -at- ricoh-europe -dot- com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a slight problem where I have to have two different types of terms
> for two very similar functions on the same screen. In order to keep end
> user confusion at bay, we are thinking of using the following:
>
> - select a device
> - choose a device line (The line has the device at the far left of the row
> with further information across. When selecting this line, a different
> dialog will show and the user is able to change things inside it.)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com