MS Word Template Creation

Subject: MS Word Template Creation
From: beth -dot- brooks -at- patmedia -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:14:56 -0600

All:

I've just started a contract as a technical editor and learned that the
templates created for the group are not in good shape. As I have some
knowledge of template creation (rudimentary!), I've been asked to repair
or recreate the templates. (I'd give me left arm to be working with
FrameMaker!)

Can anyone help with the following:

1) Good reference book(s) or site(s) on template creation for MS Word
2000.

2) The documents include certain elements that are repeated in many
places, such as a protocol number. I'd like the author to enter the
protocol number on the first page and have it automatically populate the
rest of the document. Can this be done and if so, how?

3) Certains parts of the document contain text that should never be
changed by the authors. Is there a way to protect those pieces of text
while leaving the rest of the document editable?

4) The templates as given to me were supposed to work as follows: Author
places cursor over the specially-formatted prompting text that explains
what the content in this part of the document is supposed to be. When
Author starts to type, the prompting text is replaced by properly
formatted text. Instead, Author gets text formatted inthe same way the
prompting text was formatted. I'm not sure how it was supposed to work,
but my simple solution has been to put the prompts/instructions in the
document formatted as hidden text. Any comments/suggestions on this?

I'm working on this tomorrow and through the week, so please respond to me
off-list if possible: brooks -at- genta -dot- com will get me at work. I'll summarize
the repsonses if anyone is interested.

Many thanks!

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com