RE: renumbering merged documents

Subject: RE: renumbering merged documents
From: "Ashaki K. Hamlett" <ashaki -at- altair -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:22:38 -0400

Elizabeth asks: What criteria do you use to determine whether to start
with 0.1 or 1.0?

At my previous place of employment, we would start with 0.1. While the
document was still considered a draft and we were incorporating comments
from reviews (technical and peer writer), we would increment the
document by a tenth. Once the document was final, it would become
revision 1.0. (Our QA person told us to use revision 1.0 and not version
1.0...but that's another topic:)

If major changes (for example, explained new software functionality)
were made to the final document, then we would increment by whole
numbers (1.0 becomes 2.0). If minor changes were made (for example,
corrected passive voice to active voice) to the final document, then we
would increment by a tenth. We also had a detailed document history at
the front of the document.

This standard applied to our technical specifications only. We did not
follow this logic for user documentation. Instead, we would always
include the version number of the software in the footer and increment
the document by whole numbers regardless of the type of change to the
document.

HTH,

Ashaki

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com