Re: Quick style ? DiffServe or DiffServ?

Subject: Re: Quick style ? DiffServe or DiffServ?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 10:29:00 -0700 (PDT)

> Yeah, I dislike the dropped final e though... I think it looks
> and reads too jargony for my taste. But because it's more of a
> contraction than an acronym....

Yeah, but to me, dropping the final e makes me know that it is not a
word, that it represents a concept

Besides...it IS jargon and I don't think there's anything wrong with
jargon when applied appropriately...it helps communicate a hat full
of meaning in a single word or phrase and the fact that those don't
know the secret handshake don't know what it means doesn't mean that
much because they aren't exposed to it anyway.

We use jargon in our field...two off the top of my head: Single
sourcing and information mapping. We hear those terms, we instantly
get it. Use the term in a conversation with your mother, wife, or
girlfriend...if you don't get a blank stare, you'll get "What?"

ok...who's the first to pipe up with "Hey! My wife has a combined PhD
in Rhetoric, TechCom, and Linguistics (and she's a surgeon doing
brain transplants, and on the shuttle flight crew, and works along
side Hawkings)...how dare you insult her...you know what I mean by
the example :-)

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

?I can win an argument on any topic,
against any opponent. People know this,
and steer clear of me at parties.
Often, as a sign of their great respect,
they don't even invite me."
Dave Barry

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com