Re: Specs for documentation projects?

Subject: Re: Specs for documentation projects?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 12:50:40 -0700

We do two types of "documentation documents." One is a general process document that outlines how we initiate,
plan and manage document projects and defines the required
content. There's one of these for each type of product we document, and they are part of our corporate-level quality process documentation.
The other is a project-specific document that outlines what
type of document will be produced, what the start and end
dates are and what specific support will be required from
the developers and reviewers to meet those dates. This is the document project plan, and it refers back to the general process document for those aspects of the project that are
not project-specific. The project plan can be as long as
20 pages or so for a large document suite, but in 90% of our
projects is no more than a one-page email.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "A.H." <isaac840 -at- yahoo -dot- com>

Is there a process for documentaiton projects
similar to writing specs for software; a process for
spelling out the purpose of the documentaton,
intended audience, etc?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com