RE: Agile programming

Subject: RE: Agile programming
From: tjohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 14:28:43 -0600

ISO registration/certification may be as bleak as you imply, but how long
can a company continue the charade unless they participate in the
prerequisite audits? I'm not particularly a fan of ISO-9000, but my place
of employment undergoes regular audits from an outside auditor. It is
expensive, but our customers require it and we take it reasonably
seriously. The good thing is that my technical writing procedures are
simple and easy to follow.

Having said that, an auditor has yet to evaluate "my" procedures.

Tom Johnson

Brian wrote:
I have been at various companies during the course of
an ISO certification, and it is invariably a joke.
Everyone rushes around updating, organizing, and even
creating, documentation, and this effort typically
stops 0.74 seconds after ISO certifies. And, as
mentioned, companies typically do nothing about the
business processes that resulted in out-of-date,
inadequate, or non-existant documentation in the first
place.

Just another worthless certification to impress people
who are impressed by what someone (in this case, a
company) says, rather than does, in my experience.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com